The lab’s actual birthdate, June 15, will include an afternoon and evening of employee activities. All employees and users are welcome to attend and celebrate 50 years of discovery and innovation.
12:45pm: Employee group photo (Wilson Hall horseshoe)
- Wear a Fermilab t-shirt if you have one (not required). Want a shirt at the last minute? The Lederman Science Center will be selling shirts in the atrium starting at 9am.
1-2pm: Free ice cream sundae bar in the Wilson Hall atrium
- There will be sugar-free, dairy-free, and gluten-free options available
1-2:30pm: Activities in and around Wilson Hall:
- Ground floor:
- Coronado solar telescope (outside, south of the auditorium)
- First floor:
- Selfie station with Fermilab-themed props
- Cosmic Shuffleboard
- $50 Raffle by Abri Credit Union
- Talk with Lab Resource Group members
- Read birthday cards to Fermilab from around the world, and sign our birthday card
- Presentation by current artist-in-residence (2:15-2:30, WH1W)
- Chalk art (back patio)
- Bags games (front steps)
- 2nd floor:
- Fermilab Singers (1:15-1:30, art gallery)
- Fermilab Trivia Competition with prizes (1:30-2:30, Curia II)
- Guided art gallery tour (1:45-2:15, art gallery)
4-9pm: The Afterparty at The Frontier Pub
- 4:30-6:30pm: Barnstormers demos
- 4:30-6:30pm: Jimmy Mac
- 6:30-7:00pm: Fermilab Dancers
- 7:00-9:00pm: Drug Sniffing Dogs
4:30-7:30pm: Dunk Tank
- Come dunk your favorite colleagues!
- $5 dinner (cash only): your choice of hamburger, hot dog, chicken or veggie burger (with chips and a drink)
- $2 beer special
Please click here to sign up for any of the following activities ahead of time to help the organizers plan. (Sign-up is NOT required to attend any of the other events on June 15. Just show up and enjoy! Those arriving for sports competitions without having registered will still happily be included.)
- Softball: A Softball Home Run Derby will take place at the Village softball field starting at 5pm. Homeruns will be determined by two sets of marked cones, at 200 feet for men and 120 feet for women. Bats, balls, and a pitcher will be provided, but batters may elect to supply their own pitcher as desired. The batters with the most home runs will receive a commemorative 50-year anniversary afterparty t-shirt and 50 years of bragging rights. Feel free to bring the kids (and their gloves) to help collect and scout home runs!
- Slow bike race: The Fermilab Bicycle Commuters will host a Slow Bike Race, an ongoing event starting at 5pm. Let your inner tortoise loose by riding a bicycle as slow as possible. The longest time to finish the course wins! Bicycles will be provided. Meet on Che Che Pinqua St.
- Soccer: A 4-team soccer tournament will take place at the soccer field. Semi-finals begin at 5:30pm and 6pm, followed by the final at 6:30pm. Register now to ensure participation in one of the teams, or come watch the exciting games and play pickup following the tournament.
- Basketball: A 3-on-3 basketball tournament will begin at 5pm on the basketball courts in the Village. Bring a team of three or sign up and be assigned to a team as part of an ad-hoc draft. The winning team will receive a commemorative afterparty t-shirts.
- Badminton: The preliminary round of the badminton tournament (doubles and women’s and men’s singles) is on June 14 in the gym at 4:30pm. Watch the finals on June 15 near The Frontier Pub and play friendly pickup matches before and after the show.
Questions? Contact us.