A series of area-specific all-hands meetings will be held Feb. 13 and 14 to discuss upcoming lab leadership changes in detail and hear from leadership. All employees and users are invited to the meetings (see below for meeting schedule).
Leadership changes will take place in the following areas:
- Accelerator Division
- Office of the Chief Information Officer
- Office of the Chief Project Officer
- Particle Physics Division
- PIP-II Project
- Mike Lindgren will assume the role of Accelerator Division Head beginning on March 1. He brings a wealth of leadership experience from his current position as Fermilab’s Chief Project Officer and previous service as Particle Physics Division Head. The role of Accelerator Division Head will report to the Laboratory Director.
- Sergei Nagaitsev will lead a new initiative in accelerator science within the Office of the Chief Research Officer.
- Mary Convery will serve as Deputy Head of the division.
- Paul Czarapata will step down as Deputy Head and will be the Associate Division Head for Engineering and Support.
Office of the Chief Information Officer:
- Liz Sexton-Kennedy will serve as Chief Information Officer beginning on April 1. In March, she will serve as Deputy Chief Information Officer. Liz brings substantial experience from CMS as the current CMS Software and Computing Coordinator.
- Rob Roser will take on a new role as LBNF Project Scientist.
- Jon Bakken will remain Core Computing Division Head and, beginning April 1, will also serve as Deputy Chief Information Officer.
- Panagiotis Spentzouris will remain as Head of Scientific Computing Division.
Office of the Chief Project Officer:
- Bob Tschirhart will begin serving as Chief Project Officer on March 1. He brings extensive management and project expertise from his current role as Deputy Particle Physics Division Head.
- Richard Marcum will lead the Office of Project Support Services.
Particle Physics Division:
- Josh Frieman will serve as Particle Physics Division Head beginning April 1. Josh brings extensive scientific leadership in astrophysics and currently serves as director and spokesperson for the Dark Energy Survey.
- Patty McBride will continue to play a leadership role in CMS activities.
- Kevin Burkett, currently the head of the CMS Center, will serve as Deputy Division Head.
- Jonathan Lewis will serve as Deputy Division Head. He currently serves as Associate Head of PPD for Engineering and Support.
- Anadi Canepa will serve as the new head of the CMS Center.
- Beginning March 1, the PIP-II Project Director will report to the Directorate.
- Lia Merminga will assume the role of PIP-II Project Director on March 1. As previously announced, Lia’s extensive experience includes serving as Director for Advanced Studies of Accelerators at Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility, Head of the Accelerator Division at TRIUMF, and most recently Associate Laboratory Director for Accelerators at SLAC.
- The current Project Director, Steve Holmes, will serve as special advisor until his retirement later this year.
- Marc Kaducak, currently leading the Office of Project Support Services, will join the PIP-II team as Project Manager.
- Arkadiy Klebaner, currently Associate Division Head in the Technical Division, will join as the Project’s Technical Director.
The following all-hands meetings have been scheduled to discuss the organizational changes:
Office of the Chief Accelerator Officer all-hands: Feb. 13 from 9-9:30 a.m. in Ramsey Auditorium. Includes Accelerator Division, PIP-II Project.
Office of the Chief Information Officer all-hands: Feb. 13 from 2-2:30 p.m. in Ramsey Auditorium. Includes Core Computing and Scientific Computing divisions.
Particle Physics Division all-hands: Feb. 13 from 3-3:30 p.m. in Ramsey Auditorium
Office of the Chief Project Officer all-hands: Feb. 14 from 9-9:30 a.m. in Wilson Hall One West
Meetings are open to all Fermilab employees and users, and there will be time allotted for questions at the end of each meeting. All meetings will be recorded and available for on-site viewing later this week.