The roads are clear, the sun is bright, and the urge to drive a little faster is lurking in the back of our minds. We have our sunglasses on and are flexing our hands in our driving gloves.
But before you hit the accelerator take five seconds and think. Remember that posted speeds on site take into consideration visibility, road width and conditions, traffic patterns and other safety factors. Double yellow lines and warning signs are posted to augment safety considerations in that area as well.
Fermilab has adopted, as a minimum standard, portions of the State of Illinois Vehicle Code and the Rules of the Road. These are the same standards that motorists are legally obligated to observe when operating vehicles on public roadways in Illinois. The laboratory reserves the right to employ more stringent standards to reduce vehicle accidents. The no cell phone usage while driving policy enacted by laboratory management is an example of this.
Failure to follow these regulations on laboratory property could result in a citation issued by Fermilab Security and possible disciplinary action. Some examples of infractions that can result in a citation include:
- Exceeding the posted speed limit in parking lots.
- Exceeding the posted speed limit on roadways.
- Not coming to a complete stop at posted stop signs.
- Failure to yield right-of-way to vehicles or pedestrians where required.
- Crossing a double yellow line to pass any vehicle, except for slow moving equipment.
For more information, please click here.