|Driving while using your cell phone on Fermilab grounds is a traffic violation. Be safe – don’t let yourself be distracted while driving.|
Building construction is prevalent at the laboratory this summer, and it can pose a danger for those on the road.
It is particularly important to slow down and pay close attention while driving. Motorists, bikers and pedestrians must pay attention to warning signs, detour signs and flaggers. Dangers still exist in work zones even if workers are not present.
Personnel may not drive any motor vehicle on the Fermilab site while using a cell phone. This is a Fermilab moving traffic violation, and you can be cited by Fermilab Security if found in violation of the policy.
Remember these tips for work zone safety:
- Slow down.
- Observe posted construction zone speed limits.
- Don’t follow too closely.
- Be patient.
- Turn on headlights.
For more information, visit the traffic safety webpage.
With construction season comes bees, wasps, ticks and mosquitoes. Over the past few weeks, the number of insect bites and stings at the laboratory has risen.
More people are stung by yellowjackets than by any other type of bee or wasp. They are notoriously aggressive and, unlike bees, they don’t lose their stinger. They can sting numerous times and can also bite. They also take food from trash containers and picnickers.
Reduce your risk of a close encounter with most insects by following these tips:
- Drink from closeable containers, and close them when not drinking.
- Avoid being outside at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear long-sleeved clothing and insect repellent containing DEET if you must be outside, especially in wooded areas.
- If you’re concerned about chemical exposure, spray a light layer of insect repellent on clothing rather than on skin.
- Pour out any standing and stagnant water that has collected and keep gutters free of leaves and debris so water will run off properly.
- Keep pet water dishes filled with fresh water.
- Use unscented sunscreen and other personal care products.
- Be careful while picnicking and around trash containers.
If you need help with pest control, please contact Roads & Grounds at x3303. The department can provide advice and schedule a visit with the laboratory’s pest control contractor, who comes to Fermilab every Monday.