The next step has been taken in the search for the sixth director of Fermilab. Today the Fermi Research Alliance LLC announced the names of the 16 members of the director search committee. The committee, to be chaired by retired Lockheed Martin CEO Norman Augustine, will conduct an international search for the successor to Pier Oddone, who retires in July 2013.
The committee members are:
- Norman Augustine, CEO (ret.), Lockheed Martin, chair
- Bonnie Fleming, Yale University
- Stuart Henderson, Fermilab
- Craig Hogan, Fermilab and University of Chicago
- Kevin Pitts, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Regina Rameika, Fermilab
- Pierre Ramond, University of Florida
- Natalie Roe, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Robert Rosner, University of Chicago
- A.J. Stewart Smith, Princeton Plasma Physics Laboratory
- Lawrence Sulak, Boston University
- Joseph T. Walsh, Northwestern University
- Herman White, Fermilab
- John Womersley, Science and Technology Facilities Council, UK
- Marta Cehelsky, ex officio, Universities Research Association
- Donald Levy, ex officio, University of Chicago
- Ezra Heitowit, FRA consultant, executive secretary
Ezra Heitowit will act as executive secretary to the committee, which will meet for the first time in person on Nov. 12 in Chicago. A second meeting is planned for Dec. 11-12 at Fermilab, at which time committee members will meet with lab staff and scientists.
Throughout the director search process, the committee welcomes and encourages input, nominations and feedback from all Fermilab stakeholders: lab employees, users, residents of the local community and members of the national and international particle physics communities. You are invited to visit the Fermilab Director Search website to contact the committee.