This year’s general summer hiring program will follow the same process as 2012, which was designed to democratize the program while preserving preference given to employee-referred candidates—particularly children of employees. Please note that intern programs do not follow this process.
The laboratory benefits from employing children of employees who already know and respect laboratory culture, and employees appreciate their children’s opportunity to gain work experience at Fermilab.
The following changes to the summer hiring program will be applied again in 2013:
- Employees may not request candidates on personnel requisitions.
- There will be no generic job postings. We will now post each job specified with individual duties and knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs).
- HR will evaluate candidates based on their responses to KSA-based screening questions.
- HR will not consider candidates who do not submit responses to screening questions.
- HR will refer only the top three candidates ranked for each job to the hiring manager.
- If there are no employee-referred candidates available or if no employee-referred candidates meet the qualifications, then outside candidates will be considered.
Hiring managers are encouraged to submit their Summer Personnel Requisitions as soon as possible, no later than April 12. The summer employment announcement will be posted on the Employment website upon receipt of an approved Summer Personnel Requisition form. The SPR form is available via the Service Desk website. Under the “Request Things” heading, click “Summer Personnel Request.” Please contact Jason Johnson (x5810) with questions regarding the summer hiring program.
Employees are encouraged to provide feedback on their experience with the new process.