|Fermilab has maintained ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certifications, which provides assurance to DOE that the laboratory is meeting our contract requirements for environmental, occupational health and safety.|
On Aug. 20 Fermilab completed its semiannual surveillance audit, conducted by NSF International (formerly the National Sanitation Foundation).
The audit is a beneficial step in maintaining ISO 14001:2004 and OHSAS 18001:2007 certifications, which are related to environment, occupational health and safety. The audit involved assessments of Fermilab’s research and development, manufacturing, waste management and site infrastructure management at all facilities on the Fermilab property in accordance with the current Department of Energy contract.
The final report of the audit noted that there were no non-conformances in the reviewed programs and included a recommendation to maintain certification with ISO 14001:2004 and OHSAS 18001:2007.
During the audit, the following positive practices were noted:
- Communication improved across the laboratory, for example, through all-hands meetings.
- Cold aisle containment in the Grid Computing Center has led to a decrease in energy use.
- The Grid Computing Center was awarded the ENERGY STAR for four consecutive years.
- The implementation of human performance improvement methods increased the quality of cause analyses and linkage to action plans.
- Human performance improvement data collection has improved efficiency, productivity, environment, health, safety and quality at Fermilab.
- ESH&Q Quality Assurance Group involvement improved management system processes at the laboratory.
- Staff improved data management, leading to corrective and preventive actions.
- The iTrack Task Force helped investigate ways to improve Fermilab’s issues tracking process.
The auditing group reviewed programs within the ESH&Q and Facilities Engineering Services sections and the Core Computing and Scientific Computing divisions.
The auditors noted that staff conducts effective internal assessments, which are a combination of so-called tripartite assessments (conducted by three third-party groups: divisions or sections, the ESH&Q Section and DOE), self-assessments by divisions, sections or projects, and quality assurance self-assessments. These assessments are all monitored by the ESH&Q Quality Assurance Group and have proven to be effective tools that have enhanced the Quality and ES&H management systems and overall quality and safety culture at Fermilab.
The ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 certification is a great recognition for the laboratory and highlights the fact that our Quality and ES&H management systems are important components of our organization and can help deliver better processes that optimize performance, drive costs down and improve customer satisfaction.