On Tuesday morning, staff in the Chief Operating Officer organization, along with our special guests from the Finance Section, gathered in Ramsey Auditorium for an all-office-of-the-COO meeting. Here are the highlights:
- Fermilab and management are committed to creating a safe and inclusive culture for all. We expect everyone at the lab to be civil, considerate, supportive, fair and inclusive. No exceptions. Please let Nigel, Joe, Chris or me know about any issues.
- A conceptual design is completed for the Integrated Engineering Research Center (IERC) and we are now collecting requirements for the final design of the building. The IERC will provide lab and office/technical space for scientists, engineers and technicians and collaborative space for the user community. It will “change the skyline” of Fermilab and allow us to better fulfill the P5 vision.
- Do you travel on behalf of the lab? A team has been hard at work to streamline and simplify the travel experience for you. Look for changes to begin in the next couple of months. And, to make sure we are using lab dollars as prudently as possible, trips will continue to be reviewed for necessity.
- A recently formed Jobs Committee reviews all lab job requisitions and provides recommendations to Nigel who makes the final decision. When you create a requisition for a new position, you’ll notice a new questionnaire that gathers information as part of this new review process.
- Each year, DOE sets out performance expectations in a document called the Performance Evaluation and Management Plan (PEMP). For FY2017, Fermilab’s PEMP focus includes progress on LHC upgrades and LBNF/DUNE, national plans for high-field magnets, and business-function improvement and planning.