WHAT ARE WE DOING?
Scientific Linux Fermi 5 will reach its end of life on March 31, 2017. Please take immediate action for any systems running Scientific Linux Fermi 5, as described below.
WHAT IS THE IMPACT TO YOU?
After March 31, 2017:
- Computers using Scientific Linux Fermi 5 will be blocked from using the Fermilab network unless a request for a variance (see link in section below) is made and approved.
- No additional updates, including security updates, will be published for Scientific Linux Fermi 5.
- The installation trees will be moved into the obsolete directory.
- Kickstart and yum operations against the old repository locations will no longer work.
- The files themselves will remain available under the ‘obsolete’ directory.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
Users of Scientific Linux Fermi 5 should evaluate options for migrating to an actively maintained operating system. Scientific Linux Fermi 6 and Scientific Linux 7 are actively maintained at this time.
If you must remain on SLF5, you must fill out the ServiceNow form, “Request for an unsupported operating system variance” at https://fermi.service-now.com/com.glideapp.servicecatalog_cat_item_view.do?v=1&sysparm_id=5df72d9315e99540f9e6045d598b54bb
If you have questions about this announcement, contact the Service Desk.