Fire Prevention Week began on Oct. 8. This year’s theme is “Every Second Counts: Plan Two Ways Out!” Seconds can mean the difference between residents of our community escaping safely from a fire or having their lives end in tragedy. The theme reinforces the reason that everyone needs to have an escape plan. Take some time to internalize the following safety measures:
- Always know two ways out of a fire.
- Have a meeting place in the front yard
- Practice your home fire drill twice a year. Conduct one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home, and practice using different ways out.
- Teach children how to escape on their own in case you can’t help them.
- Make sure the address of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find.
- Close doors behind you as you leave. This may slow the spread of smoke, heat and fire.
- Once you get outside, stay outside. Never go back inside a burning building.
If you ever have any questions about fire safety, please give the Fire Department a call at x3428. We’ll be happy to help.
Chuck Kuhn is the Fermilab fire chief.