Due to an equipment problem in One East, the demo on Thursday, Nov. 1, will take place in One West instead. The following message has been updated with the new information.
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
Computing will be adding additional authentication options to the Fermilab single sign-on (SSO) page. As a result, in addition to your SERVICES account, you will be able to use any of the following options to access an SSO-enabled application:
On-site Fermi Windows system – Recommended for users who
– are on-site (or logged in to VPN) and
– use a Windows computer in the FERMI domain (this includes the vast majority of Fermilab-owned Windows computers) and
– use an Internet Explorer, Edge or Chrome browser
Kerberos (FERMI or FNAL) – Recommended for users who
– use a Mac or Linux/Unix computer and
– use a browser configured for Kerberos authentication and
– have a valid Kerberos ticket from either the FNAL.GOV or the FERMI.WIN.FNAL.GOV realm
Fermilab CILogon certificate – Recommended for users who
– use a password or otherwise protected device or computer, which is not shared with others and
– use any browser on any operating system, including mobile and
– have a CILogon Basic CA certificate imported in their browser that was obtained using Fermilab credentials
Please note that Webmail and FermiPoint are not affected by this change.
WHEN WILL THIS OCCUR?
Monday, Nov. 5; 5:30 a.m. to 7 a.m.
WHAT IS THE IMPACT TO YOU?
- During the maintenance window stated above, you may be prompted to re-login to your SSO-enabled application.
- After 7 a.m. on Monday, Nov. 5, If you choose to, you can still use your Services account to log in to an SSO-enabled application. However, with the Kerberos and certificate authentication options now available, you can significantly reduce number of times you need to type in your password throughout your work week.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
To learn more about these SSO changes, attend one of these demo sessions. We will demonstrate how to use these new authentication methods on Windows, Mac and Linux computers as well as iOS and Android devices.
- Tuesday, Oct. 30, noon to 1 p.m., Wilson Hall One West
- Thursday, Nov. 1, 11 a.m. to noon, Wilson Hall One West
In addition, instructions on how to use the new SSO page can be found in this article: https://fermi.service-now.com/wp?id=kb_article&sys_id=KB0012786