The Fermilab Fire Department would like to remind everyone of some safety tips during this upcoming extreme hot weather, with temperature indexes of over 100 degrees:
- Stay hydrated. Drink plenty of fluids, about 5 to 7 ounces every 15 or 20 minutes.
- Avoid dehydrating liquids. Alcohol, coffee, tea and caffeinated soft drinks can hurt more than help.
- Wear protective clothing. Lightweight, light-colored and loose-fitting clothing helps protect against heat. Change your clothing if it gets completely saturated.
- Pace yourself. Slow down and work at an even pace. Know your own limits and ability to work safely in heat.
- Schedule frequent breaks. Take time for rest periods and water breaks in a shaded or air conditioned area.
- Use a damp rag. You can wipe your face or put it around your neck.
- Avoid getting sunburn. Use sunscreen, and wear a hat if working outside.
- Avoid direct sun. Find shade or block out the sun if possible.
- Eat smaller meals. Eat fruits high in fiber and natural juice. Avoid high protein foods.
Do not hesitate to call x3131 if feeling ill or in need of medical assistance.