Dear personal certificate users,
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
To meet the needs of our scientific users, the certificate authority (CA) for issuing CILogon personal certificates will be changed from CILogon Basic CA to CILogon Silver CA. Most individuals who have personal certificates from CILogon Basic CA can continue to use their current certificate in their browser until it expires. A few users of non-Fermilab services may need to obtain a CILogon Silver CA certificate to use services beginning Nov. 7. (See details further below.)
WHEN WILL THIS OCCUR?
This change is scheduled for the morning of Thursday, Nov. 7.
WHAT IS THE IMPACT TO YOU?
• Starting Nov. 7, when you request a new CILogon personal certificate at https://cilogon.org, the certificate will be issued from the CILogon Silver CA rather than the CILogon Basic CA.
• Fermilab services that currently accept CILogon Basic CA personal certificates for authentication will accept both CILogon Basic CA certificates and CILogon Silver CA certificates starting Nov. 7.
• A few non-Fermilab services may require access via a CILogon Silver CA certificate beginning Nov. 7.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
• Most users can continue to use their current CILogon Basic CA certificates in their browser until it expires. After expiration, CILogon Silver CA certificates can be requested at https://cilogon.org. The steps for requesting a CILogon Silver CA certificate are the same as those for requesting a CILogon Basic CA certificate.
• Starting Nov. 7, if you need to access a website that requires a certificate issued from the CILogon Silver CA (e.g., some CERN websites may require this), you will be able to do so by requesting a CILogon Silver CA certificate at https://cilogon.org.
• For instructions on how to request a CILogon Silver CA certificate and load it into your browser, see https://fermi.service-now.com/wp?id=kb_article&sys_id=KB0013239