WHAT ARE WE DOING?
By Apr. 30, the lab will require multifactor authentication (MFA) to access your Fermilab email account from offsite. You can read more about MFA for email in this Fermilab at Work article.
Here is the schedule of the rollout (each group should watch for email from the Service Desk prior to this date):
March 17 – CCD and OCIO
March 24: SCD
March 31: PPD, ND, LBNF
Apr. 7: AD, APS-TD, PIPII
Apr. 14: COO, CPO, CRO, DIR, ESH, FESS, FI, TE, WDRS
Apr. 21: Visitors and Contractors
WHAT IS THE IMPACT TO YOU?
MFA will be required to access email only if you are offsite and do not use the Fermilab VPN system. If you are on site at the lab, or if you use VPN, you will be able to access your email as usual.
If you access your email offsite and are not using the lab’s VPN system, then in addition to entering your Services account username and password to access your email, you will be required to also enter your PIN and passcode generated by your RSA token.
If you access email offsite and are not using VPN, you must obtain an RSA token before Apr. 30. If you only read email on a device on which you have VPN (whether you use an RSA token or YubiKey to access VPN), you do not have to take action.
There are two types of RSA tokens:
- The software token (“soft token”) is an app that you install on your mobile device. The app cannot be installed on a laptop or desktop computer, but you can use the app to generate your passcode regardless of which device you are using to access email.
- The hardware token (“hard token”) is a small hardware device that you can attach to a keychain.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
We recommend that you obtain your RSA token now.
To obtain an RSA token:
- If you would like a soft token, or if you would like a hard token and will not be at the lab within the next several weeks:
- Log in the Service Desk website, https://servicedesk.fnal.gov.
- In the search box, type “rsa.”
- In the search results, click the link, “RSA Token Request.“
- Select either soft or a hard token. (Soft tokens are delivered via email. If you need a hard token and will not be at the lab to pick it up before Apr. 30, you can specify a postal address where it can be mailed.)
- If you would like a hard token and you are onsite, you can visit the Service Desk (Wilson Hall Ground Floor) to obtain the token directly.
The MFA at Fermilab website (on-site/VPN access only) has how-to documentation for using MFA for email as well as FAQs and up-to-date information.
Questions may be directed to email@example.com.