Dear Mac users
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
Computing will be updating the Symantec Endpoint Protection client on all centrally managed Mac computers. This is a required update and includes several important bug fixes.
WHEN WILL THIS OCCUR?
Tuesday, March 3; starting at 7 a.m. Central Time
WHAT IS THE IMPACT TO YOU?
• Alerts announcing the required download and installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection will appear on your screen.
• A reboot is required for this update.
• Symantec Endpoint Protection may run an initial scan of the system files shortly after the installation has completed. This is not a full scan of your entire Mac computer.
• In some cases, the com.symantec.mes.systemextension process may get stuck when it first starts after the update, and this will cause the fans on your Mac to run at full speed. If that happens, please restart your Mac computer.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
• To manually install the update at a time convenient to you, open the “Self Service” application and select the “Activity” tab at the top. Then click “Install” to begin the installation. A reboot is required to complete the installation.
• If you don’t manually install this update, the update will be automatically installed one week later. When the auto-installation process has completed, you will see a message alerting you that a reboot will occur in five minutes.
• Contact the Service Desk if you have questions about this update. Details about this update and previous updates can be found at https://fermi.service-now.com/kb_view_customer.do?sysparm_article=KB0011722.