WHAT ARE WE DOING?
Computing is enabling security updates for Mac computers running macOS Big Sur v11.
For additional information about macOS updates, please see https://fermi.service-now.com/kb_view_customer.do?sysparm_article=KB0011722.
WHEN WILL THIS OCCUR?
Thursday, March 4
WHAT IS THE IMPACT TO YOU?
Alerts announcing the availability of the security updates for manual installation will appear on your screen.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
- Proceed with the installation when the alert appears on your screen.
- If an alert does not appear, you can manually check for updates by going to Software Update in System Preferences.
- If you do not receive the alerts and the security updates do not appear after checking Software Update, please contact the Service Desk for assistance.
- Automatic installation will begin on April 1.
If you have customized the configuration of your Mac to allow incoming SSH:
- Some updates from Apple may overwrite existing macOS system configuration files. This may cause a Mac with certain custom configurations to violate OS Baseline and be blocked from the network. Updates initiated through Jamf Self-Service will back up the existing SSHD configuration file and turn off remote login (inbound SSH). You will need to review the SSHD configuration file to ensure compliance before turning on remote login (inbound SSH).
If you use Apple’s built-in macOS software update to install Apple updates and have configured your Mac to allow incoming SSH:
- It is recommended that you backup your SSHD configuration file and disable incoming SSH before installing the update.