The Engineering Advisory Council invites you to attend the virtual 2022 All Engineers’ Retreat, which takes place during Engineers Week, Feb. 22-24. The agenda can be found here.
We are excited to welcome two keynote speakers:
- Dr. Kenneth Marken from the Department of Energy will present on the DOE Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) Program
- Dr. Ziad Melhem of Oxford Quantum Solutions Ltd. on a Strategic Approach to Broaden the Use of Superconductivity in Society and the Potential Impact on a Cleaner, Healthier and Sustainable Future
We have planned plenary sessions with the following overview talks:
- Address to Engineering Community by Fermilab Director Nigel Lockyer
- New Engineers to FNAL with EAC members and Mike Geelhoed
- ACORN overview by Erik Gottschalk
- LBNF/DUNE Far Site Conventional Facilities (FSCF) Excavation Work with James Rickard
- PIP-II Update by Lidija Kokoska
- Connecting to Our Community Panel which highlights diversity and inclusion and LRGs at Fermilab
- Engineering Manual Update with Paul Czarapata
- Inventor Recognition Ceremony with Cherri Schmidt
- Closing and Opportunities for the FNAL Engineering Community by Paul Czarapata
The engineering talks highlight research initiatives by Fermilab engineers:
- AI/ML (Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning) at FNAL by Nhan Tran
- Overview of Construction at FNAL by Mark Jeffers
- SBND TPC Assembly and Transport Fixture (ATF) and TPC Hanger System with Shishir Shetty
- Robotics Initiative with Mayling Wong-Squires
- Cryogenics for Quantum Applications by Matt Hollister
- Ethical Engineering Disasters: What Can We Learn From Them with Kathrine Laureto
- We Want to Hear from You with the EAC panel, moderated by Kathrine Laureto
The following virtual tours can be viewed at any time, link is provided on the Indico page:
- IERC pre-recorded virtual tour with IERC team: join tourguide Dan Fograse on Wednesday, Feb. 23, at 2:30 p.m. for a live viewing and Q&A session
- Quantum Computing Lab featuring Silvia Zorzetti and Mattia Checchin
We recognize that many people may be in Zoom fatigue, so we have kept the agenda abbreviated with topics that are relevant to our current operations. If you are registered for the engineers_all listserv, you should have already received Zoom links for the talks. Two ways to subscribe to engineers_all email list: (1) Manage your lists at https://listserv.fnal.gov/ (2) Send an email to email@example.com with a blank subject, and within the body only subscribe engineers_all, first name, last name.
Contact Cheryl Keaty at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have not received an Outlook invitation with a Zoom link. Please feel free to forward these invitations to your colleagues, scientists, application developers, engineering physicists and anyone who might be interested in the retreat.
The focus of the Engineering Advisory Council, or EAC, is to address and improve the lives of engineers at the laboratory and encourage a community of open communication and free exchange of ideas. We have therefore planned sessions to learn about interesting projects at Fermilab and engineers’ contributions. We will also cover opportunities, address concerns and receive feedback about the lab’s efforts in building an engineering community. We encourage your active participation and hope to hear about new proposals and ideas. Learn more about the Engineering Advisory Council.
Thank you in advance for your participation, and we look forward to seeing you at the retreat.