Dear Mac users,
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
The Information Technology Division will be enabling security updates for Mac computers running macOS Ventura v13, Monterey v12 and Big Sur v11.
For additional information about available macOS updates, including versions, please see https://fermi.servicenowservices.com/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0011722
WHEN WILL THIS OCCUR?
Thursday, May 25
WHAT IS THE IMPACT TO YOU?
- Alerts announcing the availability of the security updates for manual installation will appear on your screen.
- Allowed deferral period is 14 days.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO?
- Proceed with the installation when the alert appears on your screen.
- If an alert does not appear, you can check for updates manually by clicking “Software Update” in “System Preferences.”
- If you do not receive the alerts and the security updates do not appear after the software update check, please contact the Service Desk for assistance.
- If you use a Fermilab-owned centrally managed Mac, the macOS updates notification software Nudge will alert that an update is available. You can start the security update by clicking the “Update Device” button in the Nudge notification window, which will launch “Software Update” in “System Preferences.”
- Deferrals are allowed until June 8 at which point the Nudge notification window will appear in front of all your open applications and you will not be able to close it to defer the update any further.
If you have customized the configuration of your Mac to allow incoming SSH:
- Updates from Apple will overwrite existing macOS system configuration files. This may cause a Mac with certain custom configurations to violate OS Baseline and be blocked from the network.
- It is recommended that you back up your SSHD configuration file and disable incoming SSH before installing the update.
For additional information about configuring Kerberos, SSH and SSHD, please see https://fermi.servicenowservices.com/kb_view.do?sysparm_article=KB0011294
If you have any questions about this message, contact the Service Desk: